At the moment we are receiving a lot of questions on the Corona Virus and what the possible effects on fertility treatments might be. Our institute is open and we are happy to start your Fertility Journey together with you!
Of course we understand your worries. We would therefore like to communicate to you objective and up to date information, and to explain how we will put the recommendations of the Government and the health authorities into practice. We kindly ask our patients to wear a mouth-nose-mask if they are coming to the Kinderwunschzentrum (e.g. selfmade mask, surgery mask, scarf, ...).
- Only come to the Kinderwunschzentrum if you scheduled an appointment in advance.
- Please cancel your appointment and do NOT enter the Clinic if you have the following symptoms:
- fever and/or
- cough and/or
- shortness of breath,
- taste disorder and/or malodour
- In such a case, please immediately contact the 24 hour Helpline 1450!
- Prescriptions and Referrals: At the moment we would ask you to solely request such items by telephone or email, following which you will receive them by email or by post.
Please contact our team:
- Offering consultations via skype/clickdoc/zoom or telephone
- Plan appointments accordingly, so that no queues are developing
- Patients are required to wear a mask
- No access to the clinic when the temperature measured at the entrance is over 37.5° C
- No shaking hands
- Distance of 1 to 1,5 meters to other people
- Educating patients about the Covid situation in the field of reproductive medicine
- A plan must be drawn up of how to deal with patients or staff members suspected of having Covid in the clinic.
- Recommendation of the "Stop Corona" app of the red cross
- Patients should be instructed to contact the clinic by telephone if they have a fever (over 37.5° C) and / or have cold symptoms and stay at home.
If a patient experiences symptoms during the treatment and is tested positive for corona or is officially quarantined, the treatment must be stopped immediately and the patient must not enter the fertility center during her quarantine! The same applies to patients with symptoms and over 37.5° C fever!
Of course we want to meet and consult all of our patients in person. Still at the moment it is primarely important to offer treatment-related and necessary appointments at the Kinderwunschzentrum (e.g. ultrasound of control check-ups). If available, we will of course also offer appointments on site. However, we are currently asking patients to take mouth-nose protection with them.
As a good and now proven alternative, we naturally still offer consultations via ClickDoc or telephone. Our Fertility Experts can offer you a professional and competent consultation via telemedicine without any loss of quality compared to a personal consultation. All sessions can be conducted via ClickDoc* or telephone. The online appointments include:
- personally getting to know each other
- evaluation of your individual situation and all your concerns
- medical anamnesis and consultation including treatment recommendations
- planning of treatments
Patients who are planning a treatment at the moment or are undergoing a treatment right now in one of our partner institutes, should proceed as follows:
- UNICA Institut in Brno, Czech Republic: Please get in touch with your coordinator from UNICA. The staff will inform you of the further steps to be taken.
- GRAVITA Institut in Lodz, Poland: Please get in touch directly with Dr Wojciech Gontarek by E-Mail at email@example.com.
At the moment there is no evidence that a COVID-19/SARS-CoV-2 infection is any worse for a pregnant woman than for someone who is not pregnant. The risk of transmission to the child seems extremely low. Only a few cases have been documented so far, the course of the disease in the child seems rather easy (Dated 16.07.2020). The milk from some mothers who contacted the Corona infection tested negative for the virus. The same was true for the amniotic fluid and the umbilical blood. (Source https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIISO140-6736(20)30360-3/fulltext).
The number of cases examined is small and therefore do not allow many conclusions. In contrast to infections with SARS or MERS, at the moment there is no indication of serious effects or complications for mothers and their new-born babies (Source: see Guidelines for Pregnant women in the case of possible infection with SARS-CoV 2-Infection https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30157-2/fulltext; Dated 03.03.2020).
In addition to the usual precautions, we recommend that our fertility patients have the influenza vaccination, especially in order to avoid a double infection with COVID-19/SARS-CoV-2 and influenza.This is true for non-vaccinated pregnant women as well as for non-vaccinated women undergoing fertility treatment.
There is no risk for pregnant women because of the influenza vaccination. Delaying the fertility therapy is also not necessary as a so-called non-live vaccine is used. There are no contra-indications therefore against the influenza vaccination during a pregnancy.
Even though the influenza season 2019/2020 has apparently passed its peak, you should even now still have the influenza vaccination. In fact, vaccination against influenza is specifically recommended for pregnant women. The authorities in Germany (STIKO) responsible for vaccinations recommends the influenza vaccination for all pregnant women from the second trimester, and in the case of a higher health risk due to an underlying condition (for example asthma or diabetes) from the first trimester.