We are constantly confronted with new methods allowing us to make an easier and more exact prognosis for the individual chance for pregnancy of each patient. We already know that the fertility of a woman does not drop at once but rather decreases in a phase manner over time. The fertility starts to decrease already in the beginning of the 3rd decade and finally reaches the zero near the 4th or in some cases the 5th decade.
The responsibility for that lies on the first place in specific changes in the ovaries, the constant depletion of the follicles and the consequent shrinking of the ovarian size as well as in the natural ageing process of the oocytes stored since before the birth of each girl.
Unlike earlier when there were only a few tests, like the woman’s age and the FSH hormone value, today we may rely on a number of additional tests and parameters that allow us to give a much more exact prognosis and fertility assessment for each individual patient.
Such parameters and tests are for instance the Ultrasound examination measuring the antral follicle count and the volume of each ovary and lab tests of numerous hormones such as the AMH (Anti-Müllerian hormone), estradiol, androgenes, FSH, LH, Inhibine, Growth hormones as well as details from the personal medical history (e.g. operations of the ovaries).Who should undergo such examinations:
- Women above 35, that still want to postpone pregnancy.
- Women that have undergone operations of the ovaries, chemotherapy and / or radiotherapy.
- Patients that will undergo assisted reproduction procedures that include hormonal stimulation of the ovaries.
- Women, who underwent such procedures and did not respond well to the stimulation („low” or „poor” responder).
- Women that want to concieve and their lab results show signs of ovarian depletion (e.g. FSH > 12mU/ml) in order to show us which treatment is possible / suitable.
Ferticheck is a set of tests that we have established for patients that need an evaluation of their personal ovarian reserve.