The stimulation should be conducted as it is stated on the stimulation plan so that your treatment runs smoothly. In most cases we recommend injection the medication in the evening. Seldomly we issue stimulation plans which require injections in the morning. You will receive training by our qualified nurses on how and when to set the injections.
Any deviation from the stimulation plan has to be discussed with our doctors (medication for thyroid, chronic and/or acute illnesses, etc.)!
Please let your attending physician know about your fertility treatment. We also ask you to contact our doctors during the medical consultation hour (Mon-Thu between 12am -1pm at T +43 1 934 69 79 – 222). If you experience severe pain outside of our telephone hours, please contact our emergency number T +43 1 934 69 79 – 111 and discuss the next steps with the doctor on duty. If required you can take 1 tablet of Mexalen when experiencing headache.
Before starting the stimulation an ultrasound should be conducted in the cycle before you start the treatment. During this, the medication you will receive is decided and if required an injection training will be offered by our nursing team. During the stimulation phase (as soon as the daily injections start) you can expect 2-4 ultrasound appointments during which the size and number of the follicles are measured. Depending on the results you will receive the next appointment. Please understand that for this reason we can only arrange appointments on short notice. Altogether you calculate a time period of approximately 12-14 days from the first stimulation day until the day of the ovum pick-up.
The timing of ultrasound appointments is dependent on your respective treatment. We distinguish between the following types of appointments:
Ultrasound before stimulation
This appointment takes place in the pre-cycle (the month before the actual treatment) between the 5th – 20th day of your cycle. During this appointment we check whether all requirements for the stimulation start are fulfilled and that no disturbing factors (e.g. cysts) are present.
Ultrasounds during the stimulation phase
During the complete stimulation phase you can expect 2-4 ultrasound appointments during which the size and number of the follicles is measured. Depending on the results your next appointment will be scheduled.
Insemination: The first ultrasound takes place according to your individual stimulation plan between the 3rd – 10th day of your cycle.
IVF: The first ultrasound takes place between the 4th – 7th day of stimulation.
Cryo-cycle: The first ultrasound takes place between the 8th – 10th day of your cycle.
These two ultrasounds take place after a positive pregnancy test. During this appointment we check whether the pregnancy is proceeding as planned. The first pregnancy ultrasound takes place approximately 10-12 days after the pregnancy test and the second pregnancy ultrasound will be calculated directly by our doctors during the previous appointment.
- Try to implement a healthy & balanced diet into your daily life. We recommend the intake of vitamins, micronutrients and folic acid (Femibion / Pregnavit).
- It is essential to drink sufficient amounts of fluid (2-3 liters) and to ensure an adequate intake of vegetables, whole wheat products and healthy fats.
- Reduce your daily caffeine consumption! (max. 1-2 cups of coffee or 1 energy drink / coca cola)
Drugs, smoking & alcohol:
- We recommend a maximum of 1 – 3 alcoholic drinks per week during the stimulation.
- If you quit smoking it can take months to achieve an improvement in fertility and so our recommendation can only be: the sooner, the better!
- Please also consider the particle pollution in your immediate environment (living space) and ensure that the curtains, carpets, sofas and pillows are cleaned. The negative impacts of passive smoking can be significant.
- Please refrain from using nicotine substitutes such as chewing gum or plasters as these also contain nicotine and can be harmful.
- Try different relaxation techniques such as meditation, yoga, Tai Chi or relaxing music.
- Spend quality time with your partner and do things which make you both happy. Give your partner the necessary support and also accept the help and support of others. Remember that at the end of a treatment your relationship should prosper even if you do not achieve pregnancy. Never stop communicating with each other.
- The fertility treatment with its diverse appointments and individual treatment stages can be very demanding. Please do not underestimate this fact and plan enough time for the treatment as well as for relaxation.
- Positive thoughts are helpful. Try to visualize what is happening with your body during treatment: follicles are growing, an oocyte is forming, an embryo is attaching itself to the uterus wall. It is not only about having unrealistic and optimistic ideas und reciting them. It is much more about seeing the chances and possibilities which lead to success.
Generally restrictions in daily life are not necessary during treatment. You can go about your regular activities such as work, sports and hobbies in a moderate form.
We kindly ask you to collect the syringes and injection needles in a solid and firmly closed container (e.g. plastic detergent containers). The container can then be handed over to a collection center for hazardous household wastes.
The optimum time for the ovulation is determined during the final ultrasound appointment. In order to achieve the final maturation process of the ovocytes a special injection has to take place 34-37 hours (depending on stimulation plan) before the ovum pick-up.
In case you missed the timing of this injection by several hours or even a day: please let us know BEFORE the ovum pick-up (!!!) as it could mean that no ovocytes can be retrieved!
In order to guarantee a good amount and quality of sperm cells, an abstinence period (no ejaculation) of 3-4 days before the ovum pick-up should be followed.