The PCO syndrome is the most common female hormonal dysfunction during the fertile years and affects 5 to 10% of women. Early detection and treatment is important as this can improve symptoms and prevent later complications. PCOS generally occurs for the first time during puberty, however, in many women the syndrome only shows itself completely in later life. The symptoms of PCOS are extremely varied, which means almost no two women suffer from the exact same problems.
What are the typical symptoms of PCOS?
- irregular monthly cycles
- severe menstrual cramps
- increased growth of body hair (including facial hair)
- hair loss
- weight problems, food cravings
- oily scin & acne
- reduced fertility & unfulfilled wish for a child
- suspicious ultrasound findings: enlarged ovaries & numerous follicles or cysts aligned like a string of pearls
- suspicious hormonal results: during menstruation (between 1st and 4th day of the cycle) the LH (luteinising hormone) is significantly higher than the FSH (follicle stimulating hormone); further an AMH (Anti-Mullerian-Hormone) above 7.0 indicates PCOS
Testing of the PCO syndrome
The PCOS centre Goldenes Kreuz offers you not only a complete interdisciplinary diagnosis but also an extensive consultation as well as an individual therapy plan according to the best international standards. Our team consists of experts who have profound experience in the field of endocrinology and fertility treatment as well as treatment of the PCO syndrome.
Schedule your appointment in the Kinderwunschzentrum (even if you have no child wish and just want to test whether you are suffering from PCOS) via telephone or mail!
More about the PCO syndrome can be found at www.pcos.at !